Thursday, January 12, 2012

Can I remove a junk engine from my moped and put a yamaha atv engine instead?

So I have a SunL chinese moped that is pure junk and is always breaking down. It has a CVT transmission. I'm thinking of removing the junk engine and putting a Yamaha Blaster ATV engine in the frame of it to hopefully make it more reliable. Do you think this will work? I dont know since it's gonna be a new manual transmission with a chain. Instead of CVT. I will be working with someone is quite knowledgeable with engines. I have all the welding tools and other tools necessary to do this? What do you think?Can I remove a junk engine from my moped and put a yamaha atv engine instead?
I think it will work. The blaster is a 200 and not very heavy. The fact that it is air cooled makes it an easier project. I believe your engine (stock) hangs off the frame like an old Honda trail 90. If that is the case, you should be able to install the 200 no problem. Make it a chain drive and you will have a 5 speed moped. Sounds like fun to me.

I don't know why people have to be so negative about creating a fun project!

Good Luck
Respectfully, you will encounter problems galore it you tackle this project. Even if you shoe horn the engine into the frame, all the other components of the moped will not handle the extra weight and power.

While you are one of the few people that state they have access to fabrication tools, don't know if you have the necessary skills.

If you look at this as a learning exercise, then by all means, make it happen. If successful, you will have gained valuable experience and skills. Then you can move onto a new project.

Good LuckCan I remove a junk engine from my moped and put a yamaha atv engine instead?
Interesting project idea- legal issues possible-- 'Moped's usually under 50cc, a larger engine means 'motorcycle' license plate. Save your 'moped' registration and upgrade to 'motorcycle' at DMV when done, registration by frame number might mean no inspection for 'simple' (to DMV) engine replacement. As long as you have welder, cutting torch, drill and money you can do a lot of otherwise strange projects. Think of the guy who first put a Vincent engine in a Norton frame and what people may have said.
How is it going to fit in the cavity of the original engine?Can I remove a junk engine from my moped and put a yamaha atv engine instead?
sounds like an awesome transplant
you bought junk and no it wont work

No comments:

Post a Comment